Requirements for Trash Containers

  • Metal or plastic trash containers must have a watertight body and a tight-fitting cover that is secured at all times (except when the trash is going in or coming out).
  • Only garbage and trash can be placed in trash containers.
  • Plastic or paper bags are allowed in lieu of a metal or plastic container, but the bags must have sufficient strength not to break under normal handling. They must be stored inside a building or an animal-proof container except on collection days.
  • Trash containers shall be stored behind the applicable front yard setback distances contained in the zoning ordinance of the city, (about 25 feet from the property line) except on collection days.
  • Wet garbage must be drained or wrapped in paper before it goes in the trash container or bag.
  • You must have sufficient containers to handle the trash generated by your property and its occupants.
  • Your trash collector is not required to provide you with trash container(s). However, if your collector does provide containers as part of your service, the containers must be compliant.
If you violate any of these provisions, you will be notified by the Risk Reduction Department and given three days to correct the violation. If the violation is not corrected, you could face prosecution in municipal court.

Anyone who receives more than two notices at the same property for these violations in a one-year period will receive a citation without additional notice upon the third violation.

Disposal of Household Hazardous Waste

The Riley County Household Hazardous Waste facility accepts wastes such as paint, pesticides, fertilizers, motor oil, household cleaners, antifreeze and more. These types of items should be disposed of properly at the HHW facility, 6245 Tuttle Creek Blvd.

Trash Nuisance Abatements
A property owner or occupant may be cited and prosecuted in municipal court for a trash nuisance. In addition, the city may abate the nuisance by removing the trash from the property.

Trash Nuisance Regular Abatement
When a trash nuisance is found, the city will provide notice and give property owner a deadline to correct the violation. If the property is not cleaned up by the deadline, the city will hire a contractor to clean up the mess and will send the property owner a bill for the costs.

Trash Nuisance Accelerated Abatement
If trash is at risk of blowing / spreading, or if it is interfering with a neighbor's use and enjoyment of their property, the city may abate the nuisance more quickly. In these cases, the city will simply tack a notice to the front door of the property that gives the occupant 24 hours for clean-up. If it is a rental property, staff will attempt to contact the owner or owner’s representative listed on the rental license application. However, if the mess is not cleaned up within 24 hours, the city will hire a contractor to clean it up and send the property owner a bill for the costs. 

For both a regular and accelerated abatement, if the costs are not paid, they will be added to the tax rolls and collected as a special assessment on the property.