Flint Hills Discovery Center Advisory Board
The purpose of the Flint Hills Discovery Center Advisory Board is to support the mission of the Flint Hills Discovery Center (FHDC), as follows:
- To make reports and recommendations to the governing body on all matters referred to it by the governing body;
- To make recommendations related to the operation of the FHDC, or the scope and content of FHDC programs and exhibits, as the advisory board deems appropriate;
- To approve an annual report on FHDC activities, programs, and operations that is developed by the FHDC director, and to submit such report to the governing body;
- To support the mission of the FHDC.
The board is comprised of seven members.
A majority of the board must either be:
- A resident of the city of Manhattan; or
- own real property within the city; or
- own, operate, or be employed by a business or entity which has a principal place of business within the city; or
- satisfy a combination of factors 1, 2, and 3.
Each member shall serve for a period of three-year terms, for a maximum of two consecutive terms. Upon the board’s initial creation, three members shall be appointed for three years, two members shall be appointed for two years, and two members appointed for one year. The FHDC director shall serve as an additional ex-officio member of the advisory board. Members are appointed by the mayor with the advice and consent of the governing body.