Contractor and/or Trade License Requirements
License Application Information
Licenses and applications for contractors, tradesmen and apprentices are available through Risk Reduction. To apply online or download an application, see all available licenses and permits.
General Contractor License Requirements
General contractor license requirements are established by city ordinance.
- The City of Manhattan accepts the following licenses: Commercial (A), Combination (B), Residential (C).
- The applicant must provide proof of a minimum score of 75% on the Prometric or International Code Council.
- The applicant must also provide proof of a commercial general liability insurance policy with minimum limits of $500,000 for each occurrence and $500,000 general aggregate.
- Apply for a general contractor's license
Trade License/Apprentice Requirements
- Trade license applicants must provide proof of a minimum exam score of 75%.
- Test applicants for Journeyman must have 2 years practical experience.
- Test applicants for Master must have 4 years practical experience. Master Electricians must first be a Journeyman Electrician for 2 of the 4 years.
- Apply for an individual trade license
- Apply for an apprentice registration
- Apply for trades test sponsorship
Testing InformationFor information about testing through Prometric, go to www.prometric.com or call 800-280-3926.
For information about testing through the International Code Council (ICC), visit the ICC website
or call 877-234-6082.