Street Maintenance Sales Tax

Manhattan voters approved a sales tax increase in November 2016 that provides additional funding for street repairs and Safe Routes to School projects.

The measure increased the City's sales tax from 8.75% to 8.95% on April 1, 2017. It will sunset after 10 years. The special tax generates $2 million annually, with 95% dedicated for existing street repairs and the remaining 5% going to Safe Routes to School projects.

Click here to view the most recent street maintenance report.

Where does the money go?


Approximately 95% of the sales tax revenue will be used to repair Manhattan streets. We use a Pavement Condition Index (PCI) to rate each street's condition based on pavement type and severity of deficiencies such as cracking, patching, dropoff, potholes and weathering. Streets with a PCI below 70 on a scale of 0 to 100 are considered below the acceptable average. We currently have more than 150 lane miles in that category. These streets will be considered annually for repairs.

Approximately 5% of revenues collected go to the Safe Routes to School program. The program addresses sidewalk, crosswalk, and other improvements to make walking and biking to school safer for students.