Risk Reduction, a Division of Manhattan Fire, administers city ordinances relating to health, safety and protection of residents and their property. Code officers also review plans and issue building permits for new construction, additions and alterations. Building moving permits, curb cut permits, mobile home permits, electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits, as well as all contractor and trade licenses are also issued by the Risk Reduction Division.
Risk Reduction Covid-19 Response
In response to growing concerns over the spread of Covid-19 virus, Risk Reduction is taking proactive steps to promote social distancing while maintaining essential and critical functions of the division. We intend to provide plan review, permitting, and construction inspection services, as long as staffing levels are adequate, to keep building projects moving. Beginning today, the office will be closed to the public and minimally staffed, with all other staff working remotely. All communication with our office will need to be done electronically or via phone. Certain staff will be working remotely from home to reduce public contact and physical interaction among staff. Whether working from home or in the office, staff will be available during normal working hours via email or phone unless the individual is on qualified pandemic leave.
Please be aware of the following advisories moving forward.
- Construction inspections can be scheduled by calling 785-587-4506. Reduced staff in the office may result in less inspection time availability. Your patience is appreciated.
- Permits can be applied for online at https://cityofmhk.com/2195/Construction-Permit-Application. Plan review staff will be working remotely from home. Plan review communication will be handled via email and phone.
- Due to the office being closed to public access, building permits will require online payment for issuance. A copy of the permit will be emailed to you once it is issued. Our inspection staff will deliver the plans and permit packet to the job site when the first construction inspection is scheduled. Contractors that are set up for billable payment with the City will be unaffected.
- We are urging our staff to practice social distancing as much as possible. We ask that contractors limit interaction with the Building Inspectors during inspections. Inspection results can be viewed online at https://www.cityofmhkdata.com/permitlookup/index.php
- All in-person meeting requests with staff will be conducted via phone or online if this option is available.
Continuing Education Classes:
- None at this time.
View powerpoints from recent CEU classes below:
Significant Changes to the 2018 IRC and IBC - view powerpoint here
Significant Changes to the 2017 NEC - view powerpoint here
New Online Features
- Online rental registration is now available.
- Contractor database: This database contains information on individuals and companies currently licensed by the Risk Reduction Division of the Manhattan Fire Department, for work in the City of Manhattan. Journeyman and master licensed individuals must work for a licensed contractor in order to conduct work within the city. If there are any questions or for further information on individual licenses, please contact our office at 785-587-4506.
- Contractors: Check the status of inspections on your projects. Permit number required.
- Check to see if your roofing contractor is registered as required by the State of Kansas.
- Find a list of approved continuing education classes for electrical, mechanical and plumbing contractors.