Risk Reduction, a Division of Manhattan Fire, administers city ordinances relating to health, safety and protection of residents and their property. Code officers also review plans and issue building permits for new construction, additions and alterations. Building, moving permits, curb cut permits, mobile home permits, electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits, as well as all contractor and trade licenses, are also issued by the Risk Reduction Division.
Continuing Education Requirements and Renewal Using the License Portal
General Contractors, Electrical Contractors and individual license holders, Sign Contractors, and Demolition Contractors will renew this year. The license renewal process will be completed through the new License Portal. For General Contractors, this will be the first license renewal requiring continuing education hours. Please be aware of the following reminders about continuing education hours and the license renewal process through the Contractor Portal:
- 12 Hours of Continuing Education are required for renewal. A minimum of six of the hours shall be related to the codes adopted in Manhattan.
- If you need documentation of a Risk Reduction seminar you attended in 2019, 2020, or 2021, please contact the Risk Reduction Office.
- All CEU documents should be uploaded to your account for review by December 31, 2021.
- A current liability insurance certificate should also be uploaded to your account for contractors.
- After Risk Reduction has reviewed and approved all continuing education hours, the License Portal will allow for you to request renewal.
- You will then receive an email that includes the renewal fee and payment instructions.
- Once payment is received, your license is renewed and will be valid through the end of 2023.
- Within 1-2 business days of payment receipt, your license will be available to view and/or download on the License Portal.
License Portal access will roll-out incrementally to current license holders, and access for contractors and individuals that renew this year will be a priority. An email containing login credentials and instructions was sent to the first group of license holders the second week of November. If you did not receive your credentials please fill out the request login form and we will resend it to you by the next business day.
If you have questions, please contact the Risk Reduction office at email@example.com or 785-587-4506.
New Online Features
- Online rental registration is now available.
- Contractor database: This database contains information on individuals and companies currently licensed by the Risk Reduction Division of the Manhattan Fire Department, for work in the City of Manhattan. Journeyman and master licensed individuals must work for a licensed contractor in order to conduct work within the city. If there are any questions or for further information on individual licenses, please contact our office at 785-587-4506.
- Contractors: Check the status of inspections on your projects. Permit number required.
- Check to see if your roofing contractor is registered as required by the State of Kansas.