Risk Reduction, a Division of Manhattan Fire, administers city ordinances relating to health, safety and protection of residents and their property. Code officers also review plans and issue building permits for new construction, additions and alterations. Building, moving permits, curb cut permits, mobile home permits, electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits, as well as all contractor and trade licenses, are also issued by the Risk Reduction Division.
Political Sign Placement Guidelines:
Proposed Stormwater Management Criteria
“The City of Manhattan has undertaken the process of developing new stormwater management criteria along with standard drawings and specifications to help make our stormwater infrastructure and drainage systems better serve the community. An early draft of these standards was initially posted last fall for public feedback. Public Works staff has received those comments and refined these standards. A final draft has now been prepared for your review and feedback before formal adoption by the City Commission. The following Public Works website contains more information and links to the various documents: https://cityofmhk.com/3161/42146/2022-Proposed-Stormwater-Management-Crit
Continuing Education Presentation
August 10, 2023
Final Inspections for Single Family Homes
For a brief look into all the ways that the City of Manhattan Risk Reduction Division contributes to Building Safety, please take a moment to view the video below: (1:26)
The 2021 International Codes and the 2020 National Electrical Code went into effect for the Manhattan area on 1/1/23. You can download a PowerPoint presentation of the significant code changes, and view the adoption ordinance for each code (including local amendments) by clicking the the link below.
New Online Features
- Online License Portal is now available. All license renewal and updates will be done using the new online portal beginning in 2021. You will need log in credentials to access your license through the portal. If you need for us to send these to you, please fill out the request login form
- Online rental registration
- License database: This database contains information on individuals and companies currently licensed by the Risk Reduction Division of the Manhattan Fire Department, for work in the City of Manhattan. Journeyman and master licensed individuals must work for a licensed contractor in order to conduct work within the city. If there are any questions or for further information on individual licenses, please contact our office at 785-587-4506.
- Contractors: Check the status of inspections on your projects. Permit number required.
- Check to see if your roofing contractor is registered as required by the State of Kansas.