Risk Reduction, a Division of Manhattan Fire, administers city ordinances relating to health, safety and protection of residents and their property. Code officers also review plans and issue building permits for new construction, additions and alterations. Building moving permits, curb cut permits, mobile home permits, electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits, as well as all contractor and trade licenses are also issued by the Risk Reduction Division.
**Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, the Risk Reduction office is closed to public entrance, and will be until further notice. We are, however, fully staffed and operational. If you are unable to submit document(s) online, please call us, 785-587-4506, and we will make arrangements for you to bring them to our office. Once you arrive, please call us again so that we are aware that you are here. Thank you for your patience.
Click HERE to read Construction Inspection Updates
It's that time of year! All licenses that expire December 31 of even years will need to renew. This includes: PLUMBING, MECHANICAL, DRAINLAYING, IRRIGATION, SHEETMETAL, GASFITTING Have all paperwork ready and click the link below to renew your license.
New Faces In Risk Reduction
We are excited to announce two new members of the Risk Reduction team.
Justin Befort previously worked for the City of Manhattan for 11 years, including 9 years for Risk Reduction. He returns to us from Kansas State University where he served as Project Manager for the past year. With 8 years of plan review experience, Justin is resuming the Plans Examiner position with a primary focus on commercial projects.
Beniah Naylor comes to us from Riley Construction and he will serve the Manhattan community as a Building Inspector. Beniah has worked in the construction field since completing the Building Trades curriculum at Manhattan Area Technical College in 2019.
Continuing Education Classes:Virtual Continuing Education Event
Fire and Life Safety on the Jobsite
Wednesday, November 4, 2020
- Find a list of approved continuing education classes for electrical, mechanical and plumbing contractors.
View powerpoints from recent CEU classes below:
Significant Changes to the 2018 IRC and IBC - view powerpoint here
Significant Changes to the 2017 NEC - view powerpoint here
New Online Features
- Online rental registration is now available.
- Contractor database: This database contains information on individuals and companies currently licensed by the Risk Reduction Division of the Manhattan Fire Department, for work in the City of Manhattan. Journeyman and master licensed individuals must work for a licensed contractor in order to conduct work within the city. If there are any questions or for further information on individual licenses, please contact our office at 785-587-4506.
- Contractors: Check the status of inspections on your projects. Permit number required.
- Check to see if your roofing contractor is registered as required by the State of Kansas.