The City of Manhattan works hand in hand with the Manhattan Chamber of Commerce to attract and retain value-added businesses to the area. The City offers assistance through many different avenues with the primary objective of creating high-quality jobs. The City has a Return on Investment (ROI) financial model that is used to determine community benefit.
To fund these initiatives, the City of Manhattan has a roads and economic development sales tax (RICOED) that was passed in 2012 and runs until 2022. The 1/2 cent sales tax generates approximately $3 million per year and through Resolution 082112-E, the City Commission of Manhattan has dedicated that 65% of the proceeds will go towards economic development strategies through traditional incentives and infrastructure projects, and the other 35% of the tax is dedicated to property tax relief.