Find updates for other projects at:
- Kansas State University's Construction Update
- Riley County Construction Projects
- Tuttle Creek Dam Construction
Traffic Impacts Updated 11/21/2019
Also see the Active Project Map
- Vanesta to Hudson - Open to through traffic 8/19, work will continue in the area through October
- Tuttle Creek Blvd - Dual eastbound right turn lanes are being added to help with traffic flow from eastbound Kimball onto Tuttle Creek Boulevard. This project also includes updating the traffic signals and crosswalks in the area to improve safety. Work is being funded and managed by the Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT).
Timeline: October 28 - spring 2020
Update 11/21: Phase II traffic control is in place.
- 12th Street/Bertrand Street Storm Sewer Repair: Bertrand St. will reopen by the end of the day October 3, 2019. The intersection is finished but 12th Street will remain closed between Bertrand and Ratone while the next phase of the repair is completed. Heavy rains on August 30 caused pressure that buckled the storm sewer box under Bertrand and created voids under 12th Street. The original storm sewer in the area was installed in the 1930’s and used the roadway as the top of the “box.” Crews used 40 cubic yards of concrete and #5 epoxy coated steel to reconstruct the storm sewer and roadway.
- West NBAF entrance and Denison Ave: Starting the week of September 24, the west entrance to NBAF and one lane of Denison Ave. will be closed while the permanent facility entrance is constructed. The closure will last approximately five weeks. The traffic disruption should be minimal.Contractor: Emery Sapp & Sons Timeline: late September - late November
- Hayes Drive & Bluemont: Near Walmart and Staples, telecommunication lines are being moved away from repair work while plans to relocate sewer mains are reviewed. Replacement of damaged sewer mains will proceed immediately, but the area requires a significant amount of groundwater in the area and completion is several weeks away. Additional barricades have been put in place to prevent vehicles from driving around the construction site on private property.
Work is in progress to replace the 36" sanitary sewer trunk main. The sewer should be completed by Thanksgiving.
Information will be shared as it becomes available. Reduce speed when traveling in the area and do not drive around barricades.
- Carson & McCall: A lightning strike damaged the traffic signal. The vehicle traffic portion is still operational, but all pedestrian movements are non-operational. No ETA on repairs at this time.
- North Manhattan Ave: The road is now open to through traffic.
This phase of the project included widening the existing road from two to four lanes, relocating utilities, installing storm sewer and underdrain seepage upgrades, as well as relocating and lowering the Bakers Way intersection to increase sight distance and safety. Pedestrian trail work and lighting will be completed before the end of the year, but will not require additional road closures.
- Juliette Ave Phase III: Juliette is closed from Leavenworth to Poyntz for utility replacement and roadway reconstruction. Bricks have been removed and storm sewer and water main work is nearly complete.
- Street Sweeping: Sweepers will be operating all week.
- Utility Cuts: Water and sewer projects around town.
- Re-grading roads
- Pothole repairs