Fire Safety Checklist
- Are lamp, extension and telephone cords placed out of the flow of foot traffic?
- Have you moved cords out from beneath furniture, rugs or carpeting?
- Are electrical cords in good condition — not frayed or cracked?
- Are extension cords sized to carry their proper load (as indicated by the rating label on the cord and appliance)?
- Are all extension cords and appliance cords located away from sinks or range areas?
- Are all appliances that require a 3-pronged grounding only used in 3-hole outlets?
- Are outlets and switches cool and not warm or hot to the touch?
- Do all of the outlets and switches have cover plates so no wiring is exposed?
- Are light bulbs the appropriate size and type for the lamp or fixture?
- Are small stoves and heaters away from combustibles such as curtains or rugs?
- Are candles used in a safe location, in an approved holder and while a responsible adult is present?
- Are all residents familiar with the location and operation of fire extinguishers?
- Do smoke detectors have fresh batteries, and are they operational?
- Are fire drills practiced regularly at home?