View All Posts

Jun 12

Structure Fire - Wefald Hall KSU

Posted on June 12, 2018 at 11:13 AM by Kristen Isch

(Manhattan, Kan., March, 2, 2018) — At 4:43 on March 2nd, the Manhattan Fire Department was dispatched to 1805 Claflin Road, Wefald Hall KSU,  for a report of a structure fire . Upon arrival, crews found a 7 story dormitory with nothing showing.  Upon investigation, firefighters determined that a fire in a fourth floor dorm room had been extinguished by the building sprinkler system. Crews shut down the sprinkler system and performed salvage and overhaul of the room.  Seventeen firefighters responded on six fire apparatus with the last units clearing at around 7:35. All occupants of the building were able to evacuate the building without injury.
Fire loss is estimated at $3500 to contents and $5000 to the structure. There was some additional damage due to water running between floors that is undetermined at this time.  The owner is listed as Kansas State University. The fire cause was determined to be accidental due to a faulty fan.
This fire serves as an example of the importance of installing fire sprinklers in buildings where people sleep.  This fire was quickly extinguished which reduced the risk of injury or death to sleeping occupants.

Please contact Assistant Chief Sam Dameron, Manhattan Fire Department, at 785-587-4504 with any questions.

Follow us on Facebook ( and Twitter (@ManhattanFD)