Oct 22

[ARCHIVED] Political signs may not be placed on public property

The original item was published from October 22, 2018 2:07 PM to November 1, 2018 9:47 AM

(MANHATTAN, KS - October 22, 2018) As election time approaches, it’s important to remember that Manhattan Zoning Regulations do not allow campaign signs, or any other signs, to be located in the public right-of-way. Campaign signs are permitted on private property.

To ensure campaign signs are not placed in a public right-of-way, the following guidelines must be followed:

  • Where sidewalks exist along a street, signs should always be placed behind the sidewalk on private property, not between the sidewalk and the street.
  • The curb of the street is not the edge of the public right-of-way. If there is no sidewalk along a portion of a street, signs should be placed well behind the street curb to ensure they are located on private property, with the permission of the property owner, and not in the right-of-way.
  • Major arterial and collector streets such as Seth Child Road, Ft. Riley Boulevard, Tuttle Creek Boulevard, Scenic Drive, Kimball Avenue, US Highway 24, Claflin Road, N. Manhattan Avenue, Juliette Avenue, and College Avenue usually require much greater setbacks and the right-of-way often includes fences, large drainage ditches, or other unusual conditions. Signs must be placed entirely outside of these areas of the public right-of-way. The Riley County GIS web page,, is a good tool for determining the location of the edge of the right-of-way along these and other streets with unusual conditions. However, if you have a question about a particular area, please call 785-587-2412 for assistance.
  • The Clear Sight Triangle (area near the intersection of two streets, street and driveway, or street and alley) should never be blocked by a sign.

The City mailed letters to political candidates on October 3rd detailing the regulations for sign placement. All candidates and campaign workers should be aware of the regulations. If violations are reported, the candidate will be contacted to remove any signs located in the public right-of-way.

To report signs placed in the public right-of-way, residents may contact the Risk Reduction and Code Services Department by phone at 785-587-4506 or submit an “Other Code Violation” report using the Report It! System app or online at